Kimora Lee Simmons in one word is fabulous. She is over-the-top, luxurious, stunning and vivacious. She is a businesswoman, President and Creative director for Phat Fashions, author, philanthropist, producer, supermodel, television personality and a Tony Award winner. She is one of the most dynamic and influential businesswomen in the fashion and entertainment industry. Her over-the-top style and mesmerizing, upbeat, fun and charismatic personality makes her the queen of fabulosity leaving everyone around her wanting to be just as fabulous as she is.
Kimora was born as Kimora Lee Perkins in St. Louis, Missouri on May 4, 1975. She is of Asian and African-America decent. Growing up, Kimora was the victim of schoolyard bullying and teasing. This was mainly because of her height. She was 5 feet, 10 inches tall by the time she was ten years old!
Kimora’s mother enrolled her in modelling classes when she was eleven years old to boost her confidence. Kimora loved it and her unique exotic mix of Asian and African-American beauty caught the attention of Paris Agency Glamour during a model search in her hometown two years later.
She was immediately sent to Paris and was signed to an exclusive modelling contract with the House of Chanel just after her thirteenth birthday. Chanel designer, Karl Lagerfeld declared her his ‘muse’ and the ‘Face of the 21st Century. Kimora quickly gained the attention of the fashion world when Karl Lagerfeld closed his haute couture show with Kimora, who strutted down the runway decked out as a child bride. She graced the covers and pages of International fashion magazines including Vogue, Elle and Harper’s Bazaar. She also modelled for Armani, Fendi and Yves St. Laurent among many others. By the time she was fourteen she had grown into a supermodel glamazon at the height of six feet.
Kimora met Russell Simmons at New York’s fashion week in November 1992. Russell Simmons is an entrepreneur, co-founder of hip-hop label Def Jam, creator of the clothing fashion lines Phat Farm, Argyleculture, and American Classics and the big brother of Run DMC. They dated for six years and married in December 1998. They have two daughters, Ming Lee (born Jan 2000) and Aoki Lee (born Aug 2002). Both daughters model for the Baby Phat Kids Collection. Russell and Kimora officially separated in March 2006. They still continued to work together on Phat Farm and Baby Phat clothing lines.
In March 2007, Kimora started dating actor and model Djimon Hounsou. In March 2008, Kimora officially filed for divorce from Russell Simmons, and was finalized in January 2009. She gave birth to baby boy, Kenzo Lee Hounsou in May 2009.
Kimora has appeared almost everywhere. She was a judge on the first season of America’s Next Top Model with dear friend and former Paris roommate Tyra Banks. She has been in numerous small television and film roles including Beauty Shop. She has also appeared in music videos for Ginuwine and Usher.
In 2007, her reality TV show premiered on the Style Network. Kimora: Life in the Fab Lane focuses on her life as a mother and as the CEO of Phat Fashions. It shows her daily life and routine along with her two daughters Ming Lee and Aoki Lee Simmons.
Family is a top priority in the balance of Kimora’s life. Her gorgeous daughters Ming Lee and Aoki Lee Simmons and son Kenzo Lee Hounsou are Kimora’s proudest accomplishments. Like their mother her daughters are a natural in front of the camera as the faces of Baby Phat Girlz Clothing. Kimora’s baby son Kenzo, with her partner, Djimon Hounsou (three-time Academy Award nominated actor) is sure to continue to inspire her creativity and will continue to inspire her fabulosity.
Kimora Fact File:
- In 2004 Russell Simmons sold Phat Farm to Kellwood Company for $140 million. Russell stepped down as CEO and made was for Kimora to be promoted to president and creative director or Phat Fashions, which includes: Baby Phat, Baby Phat Girlz, Phat Farm, Phat Premium and Phat Farm Boyz. She is the instrumental force behind the brands’ designs, ad campaign strategies, marketing concepts and overall global business strategies.
- In 2006 Kimora’s self-help book called, Fabulosity: What It Is and How to Get It, was published. The book is a lifestyle manual on everything from spirituality and finances to fashion and beauty. The book empowers women to cultivate their inner goddess with independence, fearlessness, and confidence.
- In 2008 Kimora’s Barbie doll was launched which she directed and created.
- Kimora has launched four perfumes for women: Goddess, Golden Goddess, Seductive Goddess and most recently, Baby Phat Fabulosity.
- Kimora established the Kimora Lee Simmons Scholarship Fund at her high school in St. Louis to provide college tuition support for academically successful girls with financial needs and is an active member of youth advocacy organizations including Amfar, The G&P Foundation, Keep a Child Alive, Hetrick-Martin Institute and Rush Philanthropic where she is on the Board of Directors.
- The mayor of St. Louis presented Kimora the key to the city and named March 18, 2008 “Kimora Day” in St. Louis.
- You know you’ve made it when you have your very own E! True Hollywood Story: Kimora Lee Simmons which first aired in 2008.
Love Kirst xo